April's gift was planned as a day in a woodworking shop on Granville Island. Instead, we stumbled on the wooden boat building club in a floating shed at the Maritime Museum, and signed me up for membership! I've posted about it on my Random Offerings blog, so I'll post a bit of an update about it here.
I've enjoyed a number of great sailing days on the boat, and it sails beautifully! There have been a couple of nice strong wind days, and after a little bit of getting used to it, the boat inspired a lot of confidence, and was able to handle the conditions easily.
In August, we took our boats to the Granville Island Wooden Boat Show, to let the public see them and learn about our club. We gained a few more members that weekend. It was fun to represent the club, and answer questions.
A couple of weeks ago, after our time in the workshop, I got to go out on a bigger boat, with a couple of our members. It was a gorgeous day, and it was great fun! I learned a lot about the many ropes and controls on the boat.
We've now gotten started on the next boat. This is a model of the boat, made by one of the members.
We start out with enlarging the drawings onto sheets of plywood, which we'll then use to make the patterns for the boat. It's a fascinating (but rather tedious) process!
I have very much enjoyed my Saturdays at the boat shed, and have been so glad that we stumbled on it when we did!!





No comments:
Post a Comment